Our Safe Home is the residential component of Out of Darkness.
Having known only fear, pain, and degradation, rescued women are taken to our Safe Home, where they are surrounded with peace, love, and affirmation. Out of Darkness provides a safe refuge where the women receive new clothes, initial medical exams and treatment, representation for any immediate legal needs, and most importantly, the love and support of a new family. Placement into a long-term program guarantees holistic care that generally includes counseling, spiritual restoration, parenting and job skills development, GED classes, and other necessary elements of beginning a new life. The average length of stay at our Safe Home is 3 weeks.
A comprehensive intake is generally completed within the first 24 hours. Case managers and residential staff confer with each resident to determine the best long-term program for placement. We currently partner with existing long-term residential rehabilitation homes all across the United States. Once a placement decision is made, our Safe Home will work in partnership with that program to help the participant meet the intake requirements.
At a minimum, each resident participates in the following on a weekly basis until placed into long-term care:
- 4 hours of case management/mentoring with Case Manager and volunteers
- 4 hours of substance abuse counseling – this may be in the form of one-on-one counseling with a volunteer or with a qualified program such as NA/AA/Celebrate Recovery
- Processing the past and issues of the heart – this may include assignments that will be completed independently and reviewed or discussed with the Care Coordinator or Case Manager
- Discussions on Life Plan/Goal-setting and Health & Fitness
- Community Service activities and household chores
- Church attendance and Bible Study – full participation not always required depending on the situation and needs of the resident
- Creative activities with staff and volunteers
**To become a volunteer on our Safe Home Team, please email email@example.com for more information.